Kola MMC, Kola Peninsula
Kola MMC is Nornickel’s wholly owned subsidiary and a valuable production asset located in the Kola Peninsula in the Murmansk Region of Russia.
In 2019, Kola MMC accounted for 73%, 17% and 62% of the Group’s total nickel, copper, and PGM finished products, respectively.
Kola MMC’s mines disseminated copper-nickel sulphide ores.
At Kola MMC, various ore mining methods are used:
- The Zhdanovskoye and Zapolyarnoye deposits use three mining methods: gravity caving with front ore passes, sublevel caving with room-and-pillar ore removal, and room-and-pillar mining. To ensure full utilisation of the concentrator’s design capacity, off-balance open-pit mining waste is processed as well.
- The Kotselvaara and Semiletka deposits primarily use stoping from sublevel drifts and sublevel caving. Room-and-pillar short-hole and long-hole stoping are also used on a limited scale.
|Mining asset||Mine type||2017||2018||2019|
|Severny underground section||Underground||0.14||0.08||0.06|
|Kotselvaara and Semiletka deposits:||0.70||0.68||0.60|
- Zapolyarny Concentrator
The concentrator produces briquetted copper-nickel concentrate. Briquettes are delivered to the smelting shop to produce converter matte.
- Smelting Shop (Nickel)
- Briquetting section (Zapolyarny)
- Smelting Shop (Monchegorsk)
- Refining Shop (Monchegorsk)
- Tankhouses 1 and 2 (Monchegorsk)
Nornickel continues upgrading Tankhouse 2 to launch nickel cathode production using the technology of nickel electrowinning from chlorine dissolved tube furnace nickel powder. The project is expected to boost Tankhouse 2 production capacity from 1
In 2019, Kola MMC used only Nornickel’s own Russian feedstock in metals production. The y-o-y increase in nickel and copper output was driven by the expansion of carbonyl nickel production capacity and supplies of richer copper concentrate from the Polar Division. The increase in PGMs output in 2019 was due to drawdowns in high-value work-in-progress inventory.
- Nickel cathodes
- Nickel carbonyl
- Saleable nickel concentrate
- Copper cathodes
- Saleable copper concentrate from converter matte separation
- Electrolytic cobalt
- Cobalt concentrate
- Precious metal concentrates
- Sulphuric acid
- Crushed converter matte for Harjavalta
|from own Russian feedstock||155,110||157,519||166,265|
|from own Russian feedstock||78,587||82,987||86,976|
|from own Russian feedstock||1,737||1,684||1,826|
|from own Russian feedstock||385||381||439|